Friday, October 08, 2010

Two Years, No Rain

two-years-no-rain

I really enjoyed reading Two Years, No Rain by Shawn Klomparens. It's a novel that I wouldn't normally pick up, as it's not "chick literature", but I gave the book a chance and was honestly hooked within the first few pages of the novel. I was pleasantly surprised at the very beginning. I really liked that it was a male character, Andy Dunne, telling his story, as I am used to reading novels that have women as the main character. It was a nice change. The novel was very well written, and the the pages just seemed to turn nicely one after another.

During the novel I got completely absorbed into Andy's world, and I kept wanting to know what was going to happen next. For example, I wanted to know if he would ever get together with Hillary, his crush. I wanted to see how he was going to pick up the pieces of his life, after everything goes badly for him (losing his wife, the possessions in his house, and then his job). I just wanted the best for him, because the author made me care deeply for the character while reading the book. I wanted him to get the new job, I wanted him to get the girl. I wanted him to succeed in the areas he was failing in. Andy was struggling to do the best he knew how to, and that's what made him real. There was a few times while reading this novel that I found myself chuckling out loud, when I shouldn't have been, because my husband was sleeping soundly next to me, and I was reading by tiny night light. I never wanted to put this book down in the middle of a Chapter.

Even though I was absorbed by Andy's world, the supporting characters in this novel were just as enjoyable to read about. Sometimes though, I found myself not liking Hillary for the way she was acting towards Andy, the love of his life. There was a few times where I was wondering why he wanted to be with a girl like her - but you'll have to read the novel to understand what I mean, otherwise I might be giving away too much about the book. I did enjoy the way they brought Andy's niece into the novel, and the relationship that the two of them shared was very precious.

I would over all give this book a 4.5 out of 5 star rating. I would maybe even read this book again - if I have time after reading all the other books out there that I want to read for a first time, before reading a novel for a 2nd time. If they turned this book into a movie - I'd 150% go and see it.

No comments: