Monday, July 19, 2010

07.19.10 :: 185 weeks old

185wksS
Sean is 185 weeks old today.

Sean had to stay home today. He has to be free of tempra/fever for 24 hours before he can go back to daycare. Jut when I thought it was gone, it came back at dinner tonight. Poor guy. It’s stayed all evening too. So he’ll have to stay home tomorrow again, though, I might take him into work with me for a bit, to see if there is anything that is urgent on my desk that needs to be taken care of.

awesomeamybag

After dropping off Mack at daycare today, I did a few errands with Sean. One of our stops was to Omer De Serres. I had a ridiculously large gift certificate that I got for my birthday to the store, and wanted to see what they had. Sean picked out a few items that he wanted, but settled on some tools for his playdoh. I fell in love with this Amy Butler Creativity Bag. While it’s meant for Scrapbooking, it’s a PERFECT knitting bag. Even has a pocket that I can keep my knitting patterns in without them getting ruined or crumbled. (It’s meant for scrapbooking paper). The tote was on a sale and even at that price had I not had the gift card, I would not have bought it.

awesomebag
I just love it. The pattern and colors are awesome.

I found a few other treasures today at the same store, that I probably would never have bought had I not had a gift card. I probably would not even have gone in there today had it not been for the birthday gift. I love that store, but they’re not exactly cheap (even with their sales).

I realized today that is sucks to be alone with a child in a store when they have to go to the bathroom. I was with Sean (who is fully in underwear now – and didn’t have a single accident today! I am so proud of him!) Anyhow, we were at Costco. I did a return. Sean asked for a hot dog from their restaurant for lunch. So we got out food. Sat down to eat. Started eating. And then, after a few bites, he says “Mommy, I have to go to the bathroom”. Uhh….! We weren’t at a restaurant that we could just get up, leave our food, go to the bathroom and then come back and continue. We were in Costco. So I packed up the food, back on the tray, and carried it with us to the bathroom. And of course, when I got to the bathroom, there was absolutely no where to put the tray down. Except the floor. I had no choice. Thankfully I had the tray. Sean did his business, we washed our hands good, brought the tray back to the table, took our stuff off of the tray and ditched the tray by the garbage cans as it had been on the floor in the bathroom. So gross. I had no other choice though. And to make my morning worse, Jamie had my Costco receipt, and my Costco card was on my desk at home. Luckily they were able to give me a temporary card (Toy Story vitamins were on sale), and were able to do my refund by looking up my bill from my card number. The lady was so super nice, which helped make my not so good start to my morning better.

sleeponcouchS
Sean actually got a bit of shut eye this afternoon. Rare, but normal when he’s not feeling good. Poor guy, I really hope he feels better soon. Not only does he have fever again, but he says his head still hurts him.

sandalsocks

When we went to go pick up Mack from daycare today, this is how I found Sean after I asked him to put on his shoes. He decided he felt like wearing his flip flops. Over his socks. I really need to teach him some fashion sense… Boys!

boysoncouch1

This evening was a really relaxing one.
We had leftovers for dinner and a salad with veggies from the garden (see below).

mackietongueout

Mackie asked for his picture taken.
He also had a new thing for sticking out his tongue for pictures.

Before dinner I went out into the garden to see what was there.

growingsquash
The spaghetti squashes are growing nicely.

strawberries
We even have some strawberries on the strawberry planter.
Very excited to see how many we actually get this summer.

todayslootjuly19

And our loot from the garden today. 2 cucumbers, 1 Kohlrabi, 2 large tomatoes & a handful of cherry tomatoes. Cucumber and tomatoes became a cucumber/tomato salad. Spiced it up with some oregano, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper. Tossed on some oil & vinegar – and voila, a tasty cucumber tomato salad. My fave. Both kids don’t eat tomatoes (unless in a sauce), so it was just Jamie & I eating it – the kids had cucumber slices instead with their dinner. Kohl Rabi - unsure what to do with.

I looked up Kohlrabi today. I wasn’t sure what to do with it, but we had one that was absolutely ready to pick (see above). I found it interesting to know that they have an “Approximate weight of 150g and has a good standing ability for up to 30 days after maturity.” Mine however, (just weighed it) weighs 298g. Damn! Did I let it grow too big in my garden? I also didn’t realize that it was a German Turnip. I like turnip – cooked. Apparently it taste a lot like broccoli stems. (Which I am not a fan of broccoli stems). However, I have eaten Kohlrabi once, when a knitting friend brought some over. I’m trying to find a good Kohlrabi recipe – how do you eat your Kohlrabi? These Kohlrabi & Squash Empanadas look delicious. I actually think I might print out the recipe and try this one out tomorrow. Hmm, after reading that pattern fully, maybe not. I’m ready to pick spinach tomorrow too – I even got a recipe written down tonight from Jamie’s mom. I will make that tomorrow for dinner and share that with you tomorrow.

Today’s de-clutter progress is here. I did very well today – 25 items!

Today’s Link Love:
- I love this image. This one too. Oh and this one too.
- I would like to hang something like this in Zoe’s room. I actually have a few pairs of Pointe shoes from when I use to do ballet on pointes, and I think this would make lovely decoration in her room once we paint it.
- Love this trivet idea. I have a few corks, I wonder if I have enough to make one.

It’s late now, later than I have been going to bed as of lately, but I still think I’m not that tired. I am sure after a couple of pages in the book I’m currently reading, my eyes will get heavy and I’ll fall asleep. I did manage to knit a bit on Zoe’s Spring Shirt while watching a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother. Jamie and I just started watching it last night, and it’s just too funny. Do you watch that show? There’s already 5 seasons that have aired, season 6 will be starting up (I assume this fall).

3 comments:

Tara said...

Cute bag! I agree, Omer is great, but dang! Pricey! Looking forward to seeing what you whip up with the kohlrabi... I've never eaten it before, no idea what it's like at ALL!

Maven said...

Shred the kohl rabi and mix w/onion and a tempura type batter, and make fritters! :) Nommmm!

Also, if you are adventurous with Indian food, you can do a small dice, cook it down a bit (simmer) and toss it in a curry.

Also, you can shred it and pan fry with some onion and apple slices, braise it til golden, then add a jigger of apple cider vinegar, some caraway seed (or dill seed), salt, pepper, sugar to taste, and serve w/steamed pierogi and grilled kielbasa:)

g-girl said...

i have felt that same horror-being alone with a kid in a store and the kid needing to go to the bathroom. wish they had better control of their bladders. lol. strawberries! how exciting. hmm, i learned something new. i didn't know anything about kohlrabi either! ohh, while on amazon, i saw that there's a book entitled miserly moms living well in a tough economy that looked interesting.