Friday, January 15, 2010

january fifteen

Fridays. I love Fridays. On my to work today I made a stop to pick up some stuff for the kids for the airplane for next week. I wanted to get a few things to keep them occupied, that if the items were confiscated by security (due to the no carry on policy for flights into the USA), then I wouldn't care if these items were gone. Or, if they kids were to lose these items (toy cars, some action figures, some play-doh, some crayons, etc.) then I wouldn't care. I got a lot accomplished today while at work. I won't be working next week, so I wanted to make sure that I had everything taken care of before I left today.

The potty training thing isn't going so well. Most nights he fights going to the potty. We have both a real potty and the ring on the toilet (which he's sitting on above). It's a real challenge this potty training thing. Any advice for potty training boys? We're really getting no where with him, he has no control over his bladder still, so he's constantly wet and he's just over 3 years old.

This evening my in-laws came for dinner and my step-mother-in-law made a meat ball sauce. I absolutely love her meat ball sauce, it is really good. (So happy that there are leftovers as well!)

Tonight I watched Grey's Anatomy & Private Practice from last night and chugged away at Lisa's Neck Warmer, and actually finished it this evening. It's wet blocking now as we speak, as I want to give it to Lisa tomorrow. I told you it was a really fast knit! I have one more Neck Warmer to do, which I hope to get done shortly. Maybe I'll take that as my trip knitting. I also have just a few inches left on that last part of my Mara Shawl. I really just want to finish it already.

8 comments:

Kimber said...

Potty training! So much fun isn't it? I know that boys take a little longer sometimes. I found with Rhiannon that I had to bribe her! I used Smarties shamelessly. Also she loved the "Once Upon a Potty" book too. I know Dr. Phil said to make a big deal - practically have a party when they do pee/poo in the potty? I also know that lots of patience is needed as well. :)

Manicmag said...

Hi. Please educate me; what does the term "Wet Blocking" mean?

Thanks
M

Manicmag said...

Me again. Regarding potty training i have 2 tips:
First from Tyler's daycare teacher. She believes that because he wakes up from his nap dry he is ready to be potty trained, (he is currently 22 1/2 months). She told me to start potty training him i should put him on the potty every 15 minutes. I am not a lover of this method. But it might work. :0

Second: This worked brilliantly with Dylan. He had no idea when he would have a bowel movement and it did not bother him to hang out with a wet or dirty underwear. What we did was place the potty in his play room so the travel distance to the potty was less and move convenient for him. We still has accidents, but this way once he start to have an accident in his pants, he was closer to the potty, and eventually he would finish his business in the potty and not his pants. It is not easy, and just when it looks like it will never happen, something clicks and boom them are toilet trained.
(Some experts prefer the term "toilet learned" as it is a learned experience and not something we train someone to do. Interesting.) Ok, I'm rambling...will end now.
Good luck!

Amelah said...

OMG! That picture of Sean is PRICELESSS!!!! Love it!!!

OMG! Private...when Sloan stripped down - how awesome was that!!

Bea said...

I don't know about the potty training thing really, but a friend just went with orange soda and constantly taking her child to the bathroom for the entire weekend. I'm sure there was more to it, but that seemed to have some effect.

Bea said...

Regarding Kimber's comment about Dr. Phil, it reminds me of how you train a dog to use the potty. Treats and constant loud crazy encouragement.

g-girl said...

we've been having a time with my niece too! manicmag knows what she's talking about though. place a potty close to where sean spends most of his time so he doesn't have to go very far. it's what we did..not the most attractive thing to see a potty in the living room, but it works! lol.

Tara said...

Maxime is now officially potty trained, but he's got a big sister to emulate, right? My advice: start with number 2 (you knooooowww). It's easier to spot when they're doing it, and get him to the potty STAT. The key is to get them to do it there a few times, and then they catch on. Just keep at it, I know it's frustrating.