Saturday, January 06, 2007

Gaining Weight & Losing Weight

Today, I slept in a little bit with Sean in my arms. I think Sean has his nights and days mixed up. He'll sleep NO problem during the day in his crib or in his basinette - but when it comes to night, he refuses! He kevetches, and cries (doesn't scream), to be with us. As soon as he's in one of our arms, feeling our warmth - he stops kevetching. The second you try to put him back in the basinette - even after he has fallen asleep - it's as if he knows, and is woken up. I personally don't mind him sleeping with me, I love feeling the warmth off his body as well, but I don't want it to become routine or anything, because then we'll have problems later on getting him to sleep on his own at night.

This early afternoon two of Jamie's friends came over to see Sean, and instead of bringing Sean a gift, they brought me a gift. That was super nice of them. They brought me a gift certificate to this fancy spa near my house, for a 30 minute massage. Wow - how'd they know I have been dying to go for a massage? That will be a very nice treat! I can't wait.

Mid afternoon, Jamie started watching the Habs game, which had a 3pm start, but unfortunately I didn't know that it was a mid-afternoon start, and I scheduled a research nurse from McGill to come and ask me questions, for that research study I volunteered to do. I did one questionnaire in the hospital, and made 10$ for Sean, and then they come back after about a week for a second questionnaire for 20$ for your time. Then, they come back again at 4 months (so she'll come back at the end of April), for a last questionnaire, for another 20$ for your time. (So all in all, they pay you 50$ to answer questions about you, the baby, both of your health, and your support system, about government services in health care, and that sort of thing). The nice nurse brought along her baby scale, and we were able to weigh Sean again. He's gained about 50 grams since two days ago when he was weighed last, and now he's above his weight that he was when he was discharged from the hospital. He's now back at the 5 lb mark. (He was discharged from the hospital at 4 lbs 14 oz. and then dropped a bit more, which can be normal in the baby's first week of life and then since that final drop, he's been climbing back up the scale slowly). And we're waiting to do the Brit Milah, until he's at least 5 lbs 8 oz (5 and a half pounds). Health is more important, so if it's not done on the 8th day, it's done when the baby is healthy enough to do so. Sean is a very healthy baby, it's his weight that wasn't just right yet. That's okay though, we're back on track! We're making sure he's eating like a champ! We've been aiming for a 30-35 gram weight gain per day.

And with Sean's weight gain, comes my weight loss! I'm doing great so far. I know it goes slowly, but every time I go on the scale (I've checked 2 or 3 times this week), the scale keeps going down in numbers. I'm loving this breastfeeding/pumping business. It's really helped my uterus go back to it's original size, and the belly bump I once had is almost gone, no where to be seen. I have a bit to go before going back into my pre-pregnancy clothes, but I've rejoined the Y and plan on getting back into the water for post-natal aqua, as well as seeing what other classes are offered. Maybe some Yoga? I've always wanted to try yoga. Maybe some "mommy & me" classes? I'll have to look into what's being offered. I hope by my birthday in June to be somewhere back on track. I think that's a reasonable time frame - 6 months. (I didn't say lose all the weight by then, just back on a very good road to it!) I've done it before, in 2005, when I lost 25 lbs by my wedding, and kept it off until I got pregnant.... so I know I have the will power and the motivation to do it.

This evening, Jamie's best friend Daniel came over with his girlfriend Francesca. It's the second time they've come over, and I really like Francesca. We had dinner, watched some hockey (the Toronto game) and then we watched the Seattle Seahawks game (NFL) because Daniel is a huge Seahawks Fan. Last night, by luck, the Seahawks won.

Every night I pump enough for all the middle of the night feedings, and then go to bed. I must go do that now, so that I don't have to pump in the middle of the night. That would be nice. (The more sleep I get - the better) I leave you with this sweet picture of me falling asleep with Sean in my arms.

5 comments:

Raesha D said...

Oh man that sucks!!! That has happened to me at work before. I'm really bummed that your package has not arrived yet!!! Mail has been crazy in the US cause of all the storms lately.

Barb said...

Awww don't ya hate that??? i've done it...more than once...LOL The lady that does the hand-dyed stuff I just got may be dyeing again, the wool I got had just arrived that morning, she was just opening up the boxes when I got there maybe try emailing her again :)

Jenny said...

I am glad to hear that your weight loss is going nicely and Sean is gaining well. He does look like a healthy little guy! I think that is so sweet that they got a gift for you, after all--you did all that work to bring him here, you deserve a little pampering!

Raesha D said...

I'm so glad you liked everything!!! I had a lot of fun putting everyting together for you. I used the pattern that Tiny Happy posted a while ago for the handbag - it is one of my FAVORITES! Very easy to make:)

Drea said...

What cute gifts!

If seans having trouble sleeping at night try keeping him up about 1 hr. after each daytime feeding. This works like a charm!!! and is possible because I did it with Caleb and now Taite.

enjoy those cuddle times some as well though :-) they dont last long...